Denver Civic Center Recommended to Become National Historic Landmark | Community Spirit
Denver Civic Center was recommended by a U.S. Department of the Interior agency to become a National Historic Landmark – moving Denver one step closer to receiving the first designation of this kind in the city.On Tuesday, at the Spring 2012 National Park System Advisory Board Landmarks Committee Meeting, Mayor Michael B. Hancock gave personal testimony to support Civic Center’s candidacy.
“Civic Center serves as the keystone for the entire Denver Parks system and sits literally where the City’s cultural, community and commercial realms converge,” Mayor Hancock said at the Meeting. “For Civic Center to receive the honor of becoming National Historic Landmark would shine a spotlight on this city treasure and help to deliver Denver as a world-class city.”
The Denver Civic Center recommended for designation includes Civic Center Park, Veteran’s Park, the McNichols Building, the City and County Building and the Colorado State Capitol.
A legacy park from Mayor Speer’s City Beautiful Movement, Civic Center would join a list of some of the most iconic, treasured and historically significant spaces in the United States. Designation would place Civic Center alongside such sites as the Empire State Building, the Alamo and the Library of Congress.
On May 22 and 23, Civic Center’s recommendation will go to the National Park Service Advisory Board for further consideration. The board will advance their recommendations to U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, who will officially designate the new National Historic Landmarks.
For more details, go to: www.nps.gov.
Upcoming Events near East Denver
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Aurora residents must now separate recyclables
- Slain DPS teacher’s daughter arrested on suspicion of killing her
- Drunk driver hits Aurora police car that was processing 2nd drunk driver
- Suspect arrested after triple shooting in Aurora; 2 killed
- Police: Officer shoots shoplifting suspect in leg, is injured in fall
- Brothers enter guilty pleas in quintuple homicide at Fero’s Bar
- Police on the lookout for BUI: Boating Under the Influence
- Gun groups rally, hand out high-capacity mags on eve of new law
- Second boat accident in 2 days hospitalizes two people
- Safeway 5th Annual Media Bagging Challenge Competition Kicks Off Fundraising Campaign